USING BELLADONNA PLASTER FOR EXCESSIVE PERIOD PAIN IN WOMEN WITH PCOS: IS IT REALLY EFFECTIVE?
Pain of any sort is always hard to deal with. Be it muscular pain, pain in the joints, menstrual cramps, headaches, all kinds, all types that cause nothing but discomfort.
It is easier to understand the concept given how almost everybody in the world at one time or the other is dealing with the pain of some kind.
The world has devised so many things to cure these problems. Be it oral medication, or spray or gels or balms or adhesive plasters, everything comes in handy while dealing with painful situations.
One of these greatest solutions for pain in the world of medicine is the Belladonna plaster. Known worldwide for its effectiveness, it is highly recommended to use Belladonna plaster for aches and pains.
What is Belladonna plaster? An introduction.
Belladonna plaster is a clinically proven pain relief treatment. It is used to deal with chronic muscle pain in various parts of the body. It is also helpful in treating muscular stiffness. It relaxes the muscles by providing heat to the affected area.
These plasters, unlike other oral medications or ointments or balms, stay effective for about or more than 12 hours.
The key active ingredient of the plaster is what gives the plaster its name – the Belladonna plant. In general, these plasters have 0.25% of Belladonna alkaloids.
The plasters come in various sizes for the convenience of the user.
Understanding belladonna plaster uses.
Belladonna plaster is capable of dealing with muscular pains and stiffness in various parts of the body arising due to many reasons.
Enlisted below are a few of the situations when it can be used:
- Muscular tension and strain
- Menstrual pain
- Rheumatism (chronic pain in joints and/or connective tissues)
- Sciatica (pain along the path of the sciatic nerve)
- Stiff Neck
- Aching Shoulders
- Back Ache
- Lumbago (pain in the lower spine)
How does Belladonna plasterwork?
The belladonna alkaloids extracted from the plant stimulates the flow of blood when it is applied to the affected region. This produces warmth in the region that helps in dealing with muscular pain as well as muscular tension. Also, the alkaloids present in the plaster numbs the nerve ending that carries pain.
How much Belladonna plaster cost? Is it efficient?
The cost for a single plaster varies depending upon the brand. The price is also dependent on the size of the patches. Naturally, a smaller one will cost less than a larger patch.
The price range, as per the online sources, may vary from Rs. 20 to Rs 150 per patch. It is preferred to purchase bundles rather than one single piece. Buying packs can always help in availing good discounts.
A few of the well-known brands that offer Belladonna plaster are Cuxson Gerrard Belladonna Plaster (UK-based brand), Hansaplast Belladonna Plaster, Viopatch XL, Mediwrap Belladonna Plaster, and Niceplast pain relief.
Given that pain is always intolerable and the effectiveness of this medicine in dealing with it is so high, that price should not be the barrier in the purchase. It is an efficient product to purchase. The versatile price range is a huge benefit for all potential customers. Not a fan of high prices, you can always buy the cheaper ones.
Belladonna plaster dosage.
The dosage is entirely dependent on the needs of the person. In case of any sort of muscular tension or pain in the body and in situations where oral medications, ointment have proven ineffective, belladonna plaster can be used for relief.
Correlating Belladonna plaster with menstrual pain in PCOS
What is PCOS?
PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, earlier known as Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD). It is a condition that affects the female reproductive system which further impacts other parts of the body.
This is a hormonal disorder that causes the ovaries to enlarge and develop cysts in the walls of the ovaries. More than 27% of the women who have hit puberty and haven’t reached menopause suffer from this condition.
Why does it happen?
The exact reason behind the onset of this condition in a female body has not yet been discovered. The experts deem the following condition as the reason for PCOS:
- Genes: Family history plays an important role in causing PCOS. Surveys have proved that such females are very likely to suffer from this syndrome.
- Inflammation: Being overweight, obese, or having an unhealthy lifestyle, does affect the body in many ways. The female reproductive system can also fall victim to it.
- Hormonal imbalance: Insulin is that hormone in the body that helps with the utilization of sugar. If the body does not use insulin, its amount in the body increases with its production. This leads to the production of male hormones in the body thus causing PCOS.
- Unhealthy habits: Smoking and alcohol have a major impact on the female body. In many cases, it has added to the severity of the condition.
What are the symptoms of PCOS?
PCOS can affect both the mental, hormonal and physical well-being of females. While the symptoms may differ from person to person, these are deemed as the most common in all:
- Excessive hair fall leading to male pattern baldness in some females.
- Acne and hence caused blemishes
- Weight gain and obesity
- Irregularity in periods – the gap between two consecutive falls outside the normal gap of 21-35 days.
- Darkening in the creases of the body
- Acute stomach aches during periods
- Heavy bleeding during periods
- Unwanted body and facial hair – A condition known as hirsutism.
Treatments Available For PCOS
PCOS does not have a forever cure. The condition can be reduced to its most minimalistic state. THere are various methods to do so. The most popular ones are as stated below –
- Allopathic Treatment: It is undoubtedly the most popular treatment for any ailment the body experiences. It may sometimes include tablets or syrups and sometimes injections too. The allopathic treatment can be very effective at times but can also pose some side effects.
The most widely known allopathic treatment for PCOS includes:
- birth control pills to regulate hormones prevent endometrial cancer, excessive bleeding, spotting, and hirsutism
- progestin therapy to regulate periods.
- Oral medication like metformin improves insulin resistance and lowers the level of insulin in their body.
- surgeries are also recommended under allopathic treatment. Laparoscopic ovarian drilling is one of them.
- Ayurvedic Treatment: It involves nature’s cure of the body ailments. The most natural treatment, Ayurveda, offers a solution for PCOS as well. The ayurvedic treatment is a mixture of exercise, diet, and herbal medication that has proven to be effective since time immemorial. While a few provide instant relief, others treat the condition over a period of time.
- Herbs like ashwagandha, turmeric, cumin seeds, cinnamon, bitter gourd provide inner warmth that helps in treating PCOS
- Yoga poses like Supta Baddha Konasana, Bharadvajasana, Chakki Chalanasana, Shavasana are well known
- PCOS diet excludes all oily foods, artificial sugars, and too many spices. It recommends good consumption of fruits and vegetables.
- Homeopathic Treatment: However slow the treatment may be, it is also believed to terminate the root cause of the problem. The added advantage of homeopathy is that it has no disadvantages. So, if the situation does not get any better, it does not get any worse as well.
Homeopathy helps in restoring the hormonal balance in the body while also helping in regularizing periods to restore normalcy of the female reproductive system.
Few of the famous treatments for PCOS in homeopathy involve the use of Pulsatilla. Sepia, Apis Mellifica amongst many more.
Homeopathic treatment has proven to be effective in people who did not find other medication effective for their PCOS. Muscular tension and pain is one such kind that affects a majority of people.
How does Belladonna plaster help with PCOS?
Menstrual pain is an enemy to all women out there. With those with PCOS, it becomes worse since their body already goes through a lot.
Oral medication like pain killers can be one possible solution for the pain. The consumption of such oral medication is limited due to the side effects it may cause.
So what to do when the painkiller tablets aren’t enough to relieve the menstrual pain. This is where Belladonna plaster can come in handy.
How do the ingredients in Belladonna plaster help with menstrual pain?
Belladonna plaster is primarily enriched with the goodness of the Belladonna plant or as it is commonly known as – deadly nightshade. However, it is not all that goes in the making of it.
For Belladonna patches that are also designed for menstrual pain, a lot goes into it to make it a powerful cure for a variety of problems.
The key ingredients:
- Belladonna acolytes: Relieves muscular tension and pain caused due to periods using pressure.
Other basic ingredients:
- Nux Vomica: Relieves constricting period pain that can cause constipation.
- Pulsatilla: Relieves cramping pain accompanied by bearing-down sensation.
- Chamomilla: Relieves cramps and irritability.
- Calendula Officinalis: Helps in soothing skin.
- Magnesia Phosphorica: Uses warmth as a tool to relieve pain.
- Colocynthis: Uses strong pressure as a tool to relieve cramps.
Alternatives of Belladonna plaster in case of menstrual pain.
- A daily routine of exercises that do not exert much pressure on the uterus can be helpful when dealing with menstrual cramps. Doctors also recommend sexual intercourse as a means to ease menstrual pain. Yoga is another very helpful method.
- Hot water bottles or jelly pads for heat are age-old tricks and the most natural way of treating menstrual pain. The heat relieves the cramps.
- Drinking hot beverages (excluding caffeine) and a lot of water can help.
- Massaging the abdominal area with essential oils provides relief to the constricted muscles.
- Including ingredients like ginger, cinnamon, fennel seeds can also help.
- Over-the-counter medication: Pain relievers can be useful in dealing with pain. Taking a regular dose from the onset of the menses eases the pain. Always consult a doctor before taking any medication.
- Surgery: This option is to have opted when menstrual cramps are a result of more complex problems like endometriosis in which a surgery called laparoscopy can be done.
- Birth control pills: They play a larger role than just being a contraceptive. They are helpful in preventing ovulation as well as reducing the intensity of menstrual cramps.
- Ayurveda uses herbs and some food-based ingredients to cure menstrual cramps. The herbs are as follows:
- Fenugreek Seeds: It is consumed by soaking it in water to soften and then consuming it with hot water.
- Carom Seeds: Consumed with hot water, it can relieve abdominal pain caused due to periods.
- Kachur: A herb that can be dried and consumed with hot water or can be boiled in water to make tea. It also comes in the form of capsules.
- Bhutakesi: A herb has grown in the Himalayas that can be consumed with hot water.
- Jaggery: This is a substitute for sugar. It can be included in the daily diet or can be consumed empty stomach with some hot water. Others also suggest a mixture of methi, ajwain, and jaggery to treat menstrual pain.
- Ayurvedic tablets, churna, and syrup also made with natural ingredients can help in pain.
Miraculously, homeopathic treatment for menstrual pain is composed of most of the ingredients present in belladonna plasters.
They come in the form of pellets, tablets, and well as dilution. By not going too deep into describing the ingredients, here’s a list of them.
- Nux Vomica
- Magnesia Phosphorica
- Cactus grandifolia
- Other medications: These involve procedures like acupuncture and acupressure on the target regions to ease the menstrual pain.
Is belladonna plaster safe for consumption? Safety Tips.
Belladonna plaster is absolutely safe to consume externally in times of need. However, there are few restrictions that must be taken care of.
- It is not advisable to be used on or by children below 10 years of age.
- It should not be consumed if the person is allergic to the ingredients.
- The product should not be applied on the face and particularly near the eyes. It can cause irritation as well as inflammation.
- The product should not be used in case of broken skin. It can make it worse.
- It should not be used in the case of glaucoma.
- Do not apply it to any other medication.
- In the case of pregnant or breastfeeding ladies, a doctor’s consultation is important.
- In case of skin irritation after application of the patch, remove it immediately and wash the skin.
What are the side effects of Belladonna plaster?
- For people with extremely sensitive skin, the patch can be painful.
- Skin irritation can be caused to people of all skin types.
- The skin under the patch may begin to hurt.
How to use belladonna plaster?
The procedure of application is extremely simple. Follow the given steps in the order:
- Clean the area.
- Pat dry the area.
- Gently remove the back paper from the plaster.
- Stick it to the affected area.
Reviews for Belladonna plaster.
The average rating for the effectiveness, satisfaction, and convenience of the product stands at 4.9 out of 5 as per more than 60,000 customer reviews on a website.
As in the case of menstrual pain, women have pointed out the remarkability of the product and how helpful it has been in their daily lives. Unlike any other medication, the ease of consumption is the most fascinating. A one-time application is sufficient for the whole day.
The pain that once rendered them incapable of engaging in daily activities, can now be cured with the greatest of ease.
In the case of middle-aged and elderly people, the plaster has been a boon. Given that a majority of them suffer from muscular tension and pain in the joints, the plaster is the easiest and most convenient form of mediation that works for hours making their daily lives easier.
Plenty of reviews deemed it to be a steal because of its effectiveness that can be availed at such affordable prices.
Yes, it is consumed in other ways. The problems that it resolves then are not just limited to pain. How to consume it is beyond the understanding of a non-medical person. Consult a doctor to know more.
No form of belladonna or any other medication can cure PCOS. They can only help in relieving symptoms of PCOS.
In cases where PCOS remains uncared for, the situation can become worse. The cysts can become cancerous. In certain cases, untreated PCOS has been a reason for death.
They are pretty affordable. Different brands offer different prices.
Absolutely not! Do not apply it on broken or inflamed skin.
It can provide immediate relief. However, it is advised to visit a doctor as soon as possible.